Monday, October 2, 2017

Smaller fish, too

In the past few months a handful of projects proceeded while others ground to a halt.

This blog, for example. Though Spef took the occasion to make a pdf of all of it so far on some magic website, for anyone who might like to get the full of the notes for a new school experience, I stopped posting on it. I just saw I had a draft for a post called Unreal Beowulf sitting here from sometime in the summer. Just that title, nothing else written. I think I will come back to it before too long with matter from my notes and be able to post it, words, absence thereof, and all.

I did write more, however, more on the memoir, more essay notes, and theorized a podcast with Pat for awhile there, writing three pages a day like I'm supposed to. Need to get back to letter-writing to people, before it's too late, meaning I forget again.

The Signum University work has been going well. Beowulf translation has been taking most of my time for writing since that course began. I had put in some kind of order the notes for an essay on Tolkien's translations, but that will have to wait again for now. But most exciting is the new partnership with Outschool, who wanted to provide homeschool parents with a Lord of the Rings class and reached out to the Tolkien Professor to get one. And here one is! And another on (or in preparation for) Pullman's Book of Dust, finally about to be released!

And then teaching Spanish long-term again for a teacher on maternity leave, so I get to see another public school quite different from the ones where I was posted most of last year. More on that later.

A couple of interesting places for Spokane to have: the whole neck of the woods around church, which includes a Montessori school or two and this campus of a Japanese university; and the Spanish conversation club that meets at Lindaman's, by Manito Park, where a lady from Andalucia who had recently gone back on a three-week vacation there was showing everyone postcards and reminiscing about eating boquerones on the beach. Something that I liked about these two sites is the second-language feel of some of the English. I admire whoever wrote them.

So, between the bigger fish and the small fry, life's good I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment