Monday, September 17, 2018

Possible Mottoes

In the finale to my Bookwarm Games series on EarthBound, I looked at a couple of famous mottoes of the Enlightenment in Kant's essay. Sapere aude! but also, Caesar non est supra grammaticos. Which reminded me that I wanted to find something more succinct for this project than, To make learning synonymous with the pursuit of happiness. It just doesn't roll off the tongue the way a motto should.

Tove Jannson's Work and love might be a candidate. I don't know about Swedish, but that sounds good in Spanish: Trabajo y amor.

Then that made me think of the great Extremoduro lyric: Ama y ensancha el alma.

I worry a little about copyright with that one, though. So I'm open to more ideas.

Meantime, starting the next series on The Golden Compass shortly, I'll be looking for shiny bits of language to steal from Pullman. His Responsibility and delight has a nice classical ring to it.

Last but not least for now, the Calvin and Hobbes exultation comes to mind: There's Treasure Everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment