Sunday, July 11, 2021

Signum Academy Discussions on Pullman, Tolkien, Lewis, L'Engle, Rowling, Sutcliff, Montgomery, Jansson...

I haven't had a chance yet to see the new Tove film, but I'm definitely looking forward to it--and hopefully before this fall, when I'll be discussing a few of Jansson's Moomin books for Signum Academy on twitch. (Nor have we watched any of the Moomins TV shows yet, but I expect William and I will be getting around to it soon :) 

In the meantime, as they're being uploaded to youtube for posterity, here's where I'll keep a record of the discussions I've been doing for the young folks on twitch. These videos of mine are nowhere near worthy of the source material; nevertheless, they're the best I had in me. If nothing else, I hope my love for these stories comes through and helps at least a few people go back and read the books for themselves. Enjoy! 


Signum Academy 

Intro 1 and 2 (Jan 2020)


The Inklings: Tolkien and Lewis

Tolkien and the Fellowship and Tolkien's Old English Fanfiction (Feb)

Prince Caspian by CS Lewis and The Narnia Reading Order Debate (Mar) 


Madeleine L'Engle

Madeleine L'Engle's Allusions in The Time Quintet and A Wind in the Door (Apr) 


JK Rowling

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Growing Up with the Harry Potter Series (May) 


On Adaptations and Fan Communities (Jun) 

Summer of Storytelling 1 and  and The Ickaboo, by JK Rowling 1 and 2 (Jul-Aug)


Philip Pullman

Grimm's Fairy Tales Retold by Philip Pullman 1 and 2 (Sep) 

Clockwork 1 and 2 (Oct) 

The Scarecrow and his Servant 1 and 2 (Nov) 

The Firework-Maker's Daughter 1 and 2 (Dec) 


Rosemary Sutcliff

Beowulf: Dragon-Slayer 1 and 2 (Jan 2021)

The Sword and the Circle 1 and 2 (Feb)

The Light Beyond the Forest 1 and 2 (Mar)

The Road to Camlann 1 and 2 (Apr)


LM Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables 1 and 2 (May)

Emily of New Moon (Jun)

Emily Climbs 1 and 2 (Jul)

Emily's Quest 1 and 2 (Aug)


Tove Jansson 

Comet in Moominland 1 and 2 (Sept)

Finn Family Moomintroll 1 and 2 (Oct)

Moominvalley in November 1 and 2 (Nov)

Moominland Midwinter 1 and 2 (Dec)



No comments:

Post a Comment